Orthotics are insoles prescribed to correct the biomechanics of the foot and lower limb. Orthotic devices can vary from simple, inexpensive off-the shelf devices to hand made bespoke customised insoles. Our physiotherapists have post graduate training in this area. Our goal is to provide a device that best suits your needs and budget.
We treat a range of patients from elite sports players to patients with advanced arthritic problems.
We can also provide you with customised toe separators, metatarsal dome pads for forefoot pain, heel raises for leg length discrepancies, and toe alignment splints for bunions and hammer toes.
We use Podiatry Products Limited an Irish manufacturing company based in Cork to supply our orthotics. They are the leading supplier of orthoses in Ireland. PPL produce high quality custom devices.
At Galway City Physiotherapy we work closely with expert consultant orthopaedic surgeons and rheumatologists and frequently prescribe devices following specialist referral.
Conditions often treated by orthotics are:
- Metatarsalgia (pain in the ball of the foot).
- Tired / aching feet and legs.
- Hallux Abducto-Valgus (bunions).
- Plantar Fasciitis (heel pain).
- Patello-femoral Mal-alignment (kneecap pain).
- Achilles Tendonitis/tendonopathy.
- Tibial Stress Syndrome (shin splints).
- Pes Planus (flat feet).
- Lumbar-Sacral Pain (back pain).
- Rheumatoid Arthritis.
- Osteoarthritis of the ankle, knee and hip.
- Post surgical intervention